5 Types of Auto Insurance Coverage You Need To Know About

Everyone wants to keep themselves and their family safe in the event of an auto accident. That’s why it’s essential to understand all of the types of car insurance available in your state. The right way to do this is by being aware of what kind of coverages are required by law and what coverages may be excellent or even necessary if you want to safeguard your loved ones in case of an accident. Let’s get started.

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance protects you in the event that you injure another person. There are generally minimum limits in your state, but it’s a good idea to buy more liability coverage than what’s required by law when possible.

Collision Coverage

In the case of an accident, collision coverage would pay for repairs to your car. If the cost of repairing the vehicle is more than its value, collision coverage will pay for the value of the vehicle. Also, when the vehicle is being repaired, collision coverage will pay for rental cars or alternate transportation costs.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage insurance for your car is just what it sounds like; it covers other things that aren’t related to a collision or theft of your car. The list is pretty long, too. Anything from loss caused as a result of weather damage, hitting a deer, vandalism, etc., is covered under this option.

Personal Injury Protection

Personal injury protection is a type of optional coverage that can be purchased in conjunction with your policy and provides you with the means to pay for medical bills caused by an accident. It covers both you and any passengers riding in your insured vehicle. When you choose this coverage, your medical expenses will be covered regardless of who is at fault for causing the accident.

Uninsured/underinsured Motorist Protection

Uninsured motorist protection helps cover costs resulting from an accident that you are involved in where the other party doesn’t have any liability insurance. This kind of insurance is also good to have in the case of hit-and-run accidents.